View Single Post
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
There are three routes to chose from.. a single enthusiast, a new leader body or extending the mandate the council has. Somehow we need to organize something that now mostly function as in anarchy. There is no clear leader or body of leaders. I am not aware of any organization which can function without any type of leadership. So that need to be sorted out first. When it is done that new body could later organize how everything should be done.

A singular enthusiast is something anybody can be. It just needs to be somebody who is committed enough. The downside is if that enthusiast later loses interest. It would be preferable if the enthusiast also knew how to make a home page, register a domain name and administrate the services. Though the community could help with parts of this. This would be the easiest route for funding as well. It wouldl be up to that enthusiast how to sort it out. Best would be if it was a trusted member of this community. The community would pretty much build up around this person and this persons word would be law.

A new leader body could be chosen for the task. An election could even be held and administrated here at TMO with the help of the council. This election would also need some charts (rules) on how the board/organization should operate and how the board later will be replaced annually. The main obstacle here would be legal issues. This would need more than one enthusiast and preferable from the same country. Funding would rely on those enthusiast and their intentions. Trust could become an issue here. They would need to register as an organization in their country. This is also how the councils mandate could be extended. But this would mean that an re-election should be held for the council as the current members did not sign up for this.

The best and democratic solution in my mind would be a leader board but which would also be the most difficult to accomplice. It would need the most work. It would mean more than one need commitment and has enough trust from the rest of us. It would need someone to take the initial plunch and be extra committed. A very unlikely scenario in other word.

The easiest way would be if someone registered a domain and then let everyone pinch in. Growing it gradually. Managing a repository would not be too demanding. The rest of the services could though. Like the auto builder. It would be a lot of work initially. This could build and eventually become a leader board and body.

Another obstacle is hardware. If we can't find new hardware to exist on this is futile. I think the Cordia project are interesting in this regard. It shows that parts of Maemo is not locked to one device. It might be possible to put Maemo on an Adroid or WebOS device too. But is it worth it? Well, that question is something someone need to decide upon and then go to work. Without that person this discussion is pointless. Someone need to step up and take the lead.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post: