View Single Post
I've owned a N900 from 2010 to 2017, it was stolen, and I bought a replacement, and I'm happy I did so.

> As a phone, does it work well?

well, sort of. its multitasking is different from Android: on Android things in the background get swapped away, stopped, parked. on N900 they stay active, so on N900 if you're doing 5 things at the same time, you're doing 5 things, while on Android you're doing 1 thing and have 4 parked. an incoming call has more trouble to come through on a busy computer.
do not choose a high bitrate mp3 for a ringtone, much better something light on the CPU.

> Can you browse the web like any android smartphone?

I use Opera, I'm not happy with it, but it works.
or I ssh -CY to my laptop and start the browser and can use it on the N900 while laying in the hammock.

> Can you watch youtube videos?

better than that: you can download them at whatever resolution, then watch them. I suggest youtube-dl and mplayer or ffmpeg. and do not even dream of doing the same on any other phone.

I generally youtube-dl -f18 the video, then watch it using mplayer.

> Did you ever connected it to the TV?

I never did, I know it's possible.

> Can I develop apps with Python for it?

not only that: you can write PyGtk programs that show functionally the same on N900 and on a laptop. only limitation is Python2.5. it would be interesting if there were python-gtk also for python2.7.

> If I wanted to install EMACS could I install it?

one of my reasons for buying one again, the day after mine was stolen.

but the presence of vim, I would also mention that one!
ah, and you will reprogram your keyboard to include ESC and others.

> Can I install and run Python 2.7 or 3?

I used to have python2.7 alongside the officially distributed python2.5. I had to solve issues, I still didn't find the urge to do the same on the replacement after robbery. as mentioned, I miss python-gtk on 2.7.

> I often execute a python script to download some data from websites, can I do it in Nokia N900?

if you're using python2.5, I don't see why not. I generally write bash scripts based on wget to download from websites, plus grep, sed, awk, cut, and all the rest of the gnu family.

> For example could I install jupyter-notebook server and go to the browser to run scripts, or could I install Keras Library?

what an interesting question, I have no clue what you're talking about. thanks for the hints.

> Would you recomend a Nokia N900?

กก YES !!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mfrasca For This Useful Post: