View Single Post
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
SD69, I'd say the Qt Project has even more reasons to be interested about the future plans of Nokia but that discussion is probably futile here. I'm taking right now your advice as current Council. Wearing my Nokia shirt here from now on.

Estel, when I say league I include any manufacturer of devices regular people buy - regardless of their sales and financial trends. But you know that, so let's move on.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Lets take simplest, and least-demanding thing from this thread - ivgalvez's proposition's part 4 - renaming. Actually, is it needed? It depends - if Nokia is going to fulfill own old promises about handling Maemo trademark to community, Maemo can become synonym for "Open Mobile" initiative. If Nokia is willing to hold Maemo name tight and take it to grave, we indeed should rename.
What problem are you willing to solve by "handling Maemo trademark to community"? I'm not a legal expert but I guess a trademark needs to be own by a legal entity, being an individual or a constituted organization. As for today "the community" is none of that. You can hint again to the need of creating a legal entity, but still it would be good to know first the problem you want to solve.

If maemo.org wants to increase its scope beyond the Maemo OS I don't see why it can't.

If maemo.org wants to be renamed to something else, this doesn't affect the Maemo trademark.

For reference: http://maemo.org/legal/terms_of_use/trademarks/

Of course, it was just simple example, there is much more than that. Some time ago, You (qgil) requested info about "promise" made by Nokia. You were given sources - ironically, it turned out to be quote from You. From that time, we haven't received single comment about this issue (from You as Nokia employee, this time) - not even "I'll check current status".
What was the issue? I remember Jaffa asking for some sources that happened to be himself referring to a post from mine. I have tried to find those posts now, can't find them again.

I took the issue of the EULAs vs the OBS to the Nokia legal team. Soumya compiled the list of packages affected and it's copyright status. We haven't heard from them yet.

know that there are many important things going on - like Community OBS and it's licensing - but it doesn't make other things less important. It's hard to plan such wide-scope things, like started by You in this thread, without knowing anything more than "Nokia is commuted on paying bills" .
Note that I started this thread after a (literally) pub discussion with two community members not working at Nokia. Next time I'll let them start the thread themselves.

I've said this in the past, and I'm going to repeat it - we're very grateful (without any irony) for paying bills, and it's indeed helping much. But paying bills isn't everything, and definitely, it shouldn't stop us from deciding, which whom we want to sleep.
Exactly.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: