View Single Post
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by arpwatch View Post
Setting up VMWare and installing a linux distribution is too difficult? Who the heck are these coders?

I'll make a deal with anyone in that situation. I'll walk the coder through installing vmware and ubuntu, and in turn they can teach me how to code for maemo.
arpwatch,
those coders are just like me - visual basic (or similar) developers who are used to having everything around them.
having you available to setup a one time installation is nice, but it is not the same as having a reproducable environment for coding whenever the OS gets rebuilt or they are on a different machine etc.

I found a way to code happily from windows (or linux or mac) without scratchbox or serious tooling on my desktop.
I just make the tablet itself contain the compiler and -dev libraries I require (a simple C based SDK) and use scp and ssh to copy files and kickoff the compiler and stuff.
it has its issues, but I code everything quickly and easily whilst KNOWING its working because I'm running directly on the device.
it more than proves the concept and scratches my itch for simple coding in maemo without fuss (building packages is a minor hiccup)

qt needs to be this simple.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post: