View Single Post
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
NITdroid SUPER SIMPLE STEP-BY-STEP setup for complete and utter dummies.... between Jake's script and this post, small children should be able to setup NITdroid.

(Note: I did this on an N810)

OK, here's this whole thing made SLIGHTLY EASIER. (There were still some parts that made me sad...)

DISCLAIMER:
I DO NOT OR HAVE EVER CLAIMED TO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. MUCH SMARTER PEOPLE THAN I HAVE LAID THE GROUNDWORK FOR WHAT I AM ABOUT TO TELL YOU. I AM MERELY PASSING ON MY EXACT STEPS. WHAT WORKED FOR ME MIGHT FRY YOUR N810.

Now that thats out of the way, this is what I did.

0. Installed Ubuntu from Vista (then booted into it, of course)

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

1. Downloaded Jake's Complete script & saved it to the desktop (in ubuntu)

http://www.jakemaheu.com/nitdroid_complete.sh

2. opened a terminal
Code:
 cd Desktop
chmod a+x nitdroid_complete.sh
closed terminal

3. Connected N810 (powered on in Maemo) via usb.

4. Double-clicked the script, chose RUN IN TERMINAL.

5. After it auto-downloads the stuff it needs, it asked me to type the last entry in a list.

For example, lets say the last entry in MY list was /dev/sdd1.
I typed sdd1 for my first response.
I typed sdd for my second
I typed sdd3 for my third.

(WARNING my first instinct was to type /dev/sdd1 as my first response because of how it was worded... DON'T, it messes up.)

6. The next time it prompted me was to set up the partitions.
My EXACT responses were

,1024,C [ENTER]
,1,L [ENTER]
,, [ENTER]
,, [ENTER]

then it asks you a question, I hit Y [ENTER]

7. Then it prompts you to unplug the USB. Do so, power off the N810, plug the USB BACK IN, and power up, holding the SWAP key (one under camera). You should see the USB logo in the upper-right hand corner... if not power down and try again.

It then recognizes the device, writes to it, and resets the N810.
When mine came back on, i saw the droid logo, which is how I knew it worked.

At this point, you should be done... I just wrote most of this from memory (short-term, thankfully). And I have not even played with it yet (because I didn't want to lose this info in my scattered-mind),

Obviously, any thanks for the main concept of this should goto jakemaheu's first post. However, if the setup stumped you as much as it did me, feel free to thank me as well

I hope this helps some one. I am pretty new @ linux, and I just thought that even though this script does 99.9% of the work, somebody (besides me) might need help with the other 0.01%.

EDIT///

And, now I'm removing it :-P

It's a friggin awesome concept to have it on the tablet, but as it has been said before, it is not ready for everyday use yet.

Once it is more usable (w/ sound, etc), I'm gonna reference this post to put it back on

Winning the battle was worth the waste of time!

EDIT2///

0-=- TO FIX YOUR 2GB CARD PARTITIONS -=-0

I was like "Oh, snap... now i'm stuck with a 1gb internal card :'(".

Then I used my noggin. Fixing it was real simple (even for us non-genius linux users).

0. Back in Ubuntu!

1. I connected the N810 (turned on, inside my uber-fresh Maemo flash), which mounted my 2 new partitions.

2. I went to Applications and installed Gnome Partition Editor.

3. Opened up a terminal and typed
Code:
sudo gparted
4. it ran, i went to the top right and changed it from my computer's HDD to the N810's card (VERY IMPORTANT!)

5. I right clicked the last two on the list, hit 'unmount' for each

6. I right clicked the same two, hit 'delete' for each

7. I then stretched (or extended or whatever) the remaining one to the full size as Fat32 (not sure if this matters)

8. I hit APPLY, and BOOM! I got my 2gb card back!

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-06-07 at 06:09.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post: