View Single Post
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I went through my current task of defining possible game endings. I was amazed about the amount of possibilities!

Please check whether you still miss a potential game ending at http://wiki.maemo.org/Miniature/Deve..._after_a_match

An opportunity of contribution for native English speakers (or equivalent) with a clue of chess: proposals for text strings accepted. The shorter the better. The more chess standard vocabulary used the better. Let's make life easy for translators.
I would personally sort this differently, into just four possible outcomes, and an optional "reason". E.g.:

* White/Black Wins
- Checkmate
- Resignation
- Time
- Lost connection (if noescape flag is set)

* Draw
- Draw agreed (does it matter who requested it?)
- Threefold repetition (don't forget three times the same position)
- X moves without captures
- Stalemate
- Insufficient material

* Aborted
- Abortion agreed (does it matter who requested it?)
- Insufficient moves (quitting or disconnecting the game before X moves are played, freechess will abort the game instead of resigning/adjourning)

* Adjourned
- Adjournment agreed (does it matter who requested it?)
- Connection lost

There is also the possibility of a game being decided by a referee (adjudication), but I don't think that the interface has to be aware of this.

Also a quick note regarding accept/deny confirmations. Whatever you do, do NOT show a modal dialog, or otherwise interrupt the player's move or even concentration. Agreeing or denying must be possible at the player's leisure. It's much better to miss a draw request by making a move before answering it, than to be disrupted in your move and possibly losing on time (let alone opening the door to abuses).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post: