View Single Post
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
hi Pali,

first of all thanks for your great work! This is really a step change in the multiboot/boot menu area. Finally something user friendly. And very safe, once your first combined kernel is set up correctly.
I'm sure lother devs will modify their solutions to be usable with this U-Boot solution.

Can I have a few requests ?
- Is it possible to auto boot the LAST selected kernel when booting with keyboard closed ? That way it would only be needed to open the keyboard to select a DIFFERENT kernel, and it would allow to boot every time (with keyboard closed) the previously selected non-NAND kernel.
There is problem that saving anything to mmc is not possible yet. But I'd like to implement storing u-boot env to file in MyDocs (and then it is possible to store last boot entry in env variable)

- when showing the U-boot bootmenu, is possible to increase the timeout value before continuing the default boot? Now it's a v short time it's looking for keystrokes. This can easily be extended to a few seconds I guess.
Default timeout is in U-Boot rx51 board code, but can changed by U-Boot variable. I think I will increase default timeout to 30s.

- maybe I'm running abit ahead but I'm trying to get create an entry to start my NITdroid
Me too, but without success. NITDroid kernel does not want to boot on my device from U-Boot

What is the syntax for the device specifier in the item for the SD Card, 2nd partition ? U-boot keeps complaining about the incorrect boot device.

I started off with ITEM_DEVICE=mmcblk1p2. NO GO.
Then, according to the error message, the device specifier should be in the format 'dev[art]'. U-boot also informed me gently that the current device is mmc0

so trying to be clever, I tried ITEM_DEVICE=mmc1:2. stil NO GO
all other ITEM_ properties I kept as in the multiboot item file.

Any hint u can give ?

PS. Did I already say I really like booting/playing with kernels this way ?
Syntax is same as for Fanoush bootmenu (I already wrote it ). Here is example config file for booting uImage with uInitrd (with cmdline root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/sbin/init) from second ext3 external mmc partition:

Code:
ITEM_NAME="Test"
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p2"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"
ITEM_KERNEL"uImage"
ITEM_INITRD="uInitrd"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/sbin/init"
Note: seems that U-Boot does not support ext4 (tested: on 1 partition can only list files - not read it, on second see that partition is empty and on third hang up). ext2 is supported (and maybe ext3 too with forward compatibility).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post: