View Single Post
Hi,

I have my N900 since 2009 (3 years now!!). I have never used 3G internet connection because I did not have a data plan and I always had a close Wifi. However, I have just got a data plan and now I am having the 3G issues that you comment on this thread.

When connecting in a rural area (a small village) everything goes perfectly. The N900 is in 3G mode and shows 3.5G whenever you need data transfer (both using N900 as a modem for my PC and also using internet on N900's browser). There is no delay and you can be connected with perfect stability for a long time.

However, in a big city, things are totally different. The phone correctly stablishes the data connection and shows 3.5G, and you can start surfing the internet without problems (again, no difference in using it as a modem or surfing inside N900). But after a while not using the internet, the phone switches to 3G and it is unable to go back to 3.5G when internet access is again required. The connection is hang and the only way to return it to life (apart from disconnecting and connecting again) is changing the network mode of the phone from Dual to 3G or viceversa. However, after a period of inactivity, the internet access is again frozen.

I have read the whole thread but I did not find any definitive workaround for this problem (except from changing the network to GSM/GPRS/2.5G, where the internet works correctly but very slow).

My girlfriend has a Nokia 5800 in the same network as my N900 and she does not have any problem to get stable internet access in the big city. Her phone shows 3.5G constantly in the display when connected to the internet.

Any idea or workaround to use internet in N900? A good idea could be disabling the 3.5G (HSDPA) in big congested cities and forcing the phone to transfer data over 3G (UMTS), which is slower but faster than 2.5G. However, I do not know if that is possible.

Thanks in advance.

P.D. My N900 is recently reflashed so I don't expect software problems. Anyway, as I have said, it perfectly works in low traffic areas.