View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
While I'm glad SOPA and PIPA have been temporarily quelled, those in Europe currently need to be working to smash down APTA, which is some half-assed "Trade Agreement" which more or less comes down to agreeing-to-frak-over-any-and-all-trade-that-may-possibly-entail-patent-copyright-or-trademark-violations. Which included internet data transfer etc.

Anyway, geneven, while Facebook is apparently lacking in appropriate balls and ethics to have protested on principle, and while Google/Wikipedia/etc might be safe, it's not like our USA government doesn't currently bring down sites fairly regularly. Look up "Operation In Our Sites", for example, which is the USA's various agencies grabbing domain names under property forfeiture law. Now, most of those sites are blantant counterfeiting operations, like (pulling name out of my *** here) 100football-nfl-jerseys.com or whatever, but my point is with enough pressure in the right areas, we could see operations to take down sites (not Google/Wikipedia - they do a lot to make sure they're legally safe, but perhaps other file sharing sites).

On the physical side of things, Mike Fila's post is onto something as well, though that's a bit removed as a topic from MegaUpload shutdown.