View Single Post
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Kossuth View Post
I saw couple of pages back somebody trying to get the OMVserver to work with finnish voices. I'd like to know if anybody got it working yet?

I tried the python server and got it working, but I wanted to start experiment with the OMV version. I got it working with the english_us, but had no luck with the finnish voices. Every time I started the OMVserver and then the maps, the server crashed when I started navigating.

I found out when comparing the config.xml files that the finnish and english have different names for some of the soundfiles. This I think is because finnish needs different files for "nominativ" (basic eg. six hundred meters) and for "genetiv" (eg. after six hundred meters). In eglish the part "six hunred meters" is in both cases the same, but in finnish the "six hundred meters" is either "kuusi sataa metriä" or kuuden sadan metrin" so we need two different soundfiles, and neither of these have the same name as the english version (they have either extra n on g). I'm going to try to rename the basic (nominativ) files to same names as the english and try to use the english config.xml. I'll tell if I get it working.

The reason I think the python version does not suffer from this, is that it uses espeak for distances, but I prefer the finnish_female voice that could be used with OMV over the robotic espeak.
There is a modified xml-file available somewhere for Finnish (I think there is a link in this thread).

EDIT: I think it is in this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=474

Last edited by OVK; 2011-10-21 at 09:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post: