View Single Post
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
As noted previously in the thread, we can not use the name Maemo, as it is trademarked by Nokia, and Nokia has already said it will not transfer the trademark, and would probably take issue with our legal entity taking that as part of the name.
did anyone consider NOKIA may let us continue to use the Maemo.org patronyme?
it would be insane not to plane for alternatives to Maemo.org after 31st of December, but what if... on 1st of January Maemo.org and the repositories continue to run as usual?
it isn't only about this Community of developer & fans. there are still plain normal mobile phone users out there that use N9s or even N900s but who have never heard of Maemo.org or its MeeGo counterpart.
will those customers be left without repositories and ways of updating their devices?

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
This was discussed on the mailing list some time ago, and a rather thorough explanation was given. Unfortunately because I replied from the wrong account, the mail is still awaiting moderation there. (Which apparently now has no moderator?)

This is the relevant discussion from my correspondence archives:
looks like i missed that one
anyway...

NFP foundation responsabilities + Council tasks too much for one Council, is it?
how about expending the number of members of the Council (and rename it if you like ) so that the new Council can handle everything.

that would simplify the structure and the organisation and planing of meetings (if some ppl were to be in both organs)
and for the plain members who'd like to attend or even take part in the meetings...

just thoughts