View Single Post
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post
Used my other halfs android last night, she is running ICS. All I wanted to do was run a DI.FM stream but there was like zero multi tasking!?!?! WTF!
I don't understand this at all. I've got ICS and I have no problem with running audio streams in the background in various ways (podcasts, streaming audio channels/shoutcasts, flash audio streams, etc.) Why wouldn't you be able to play an audio stream in Android? I want to see how I can recreate that to fix it, if you're willing to explain.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
For myself, I've gotta say, I have no problem with Maemo. But then, I'm probably not looking for what other folks are.

Maemo is (so far) the only version of Unix on a cell phone that has had any support. (Android, of course, runs on top of Linux, but there's no way to get down to the Linux layer without major hacking.) I can run all my favorite Unix utilities, edit text with vim, write shell scripts, and build apps using standard languages like C++ and standard libraries like Qt. In short, it does everything I want a computer to do.

But there will be other cell phones / pocketable computers in the future running Unix. It is, ultimately, the most successful OS in history, and eventually touches every platform. I don't really care if they end up running a relative of Maemo or not, I'll still be able to bring all my favorite tools and port all my favorite creations over, because in the end, Unix is Unix is Unix...
Correction: Linux is not UNIX. Sure, it's mostly POSIX compliant, but it's not UNIX at all (for better or worse, personally I often think for a lot of the better) and it has no shared history with UNIX.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The next cell phone running Unix will probably be a Blackberry with QNX. It's not a relative of maemo. I doubt it will be easy to port maemo stuff over (would love to be wrong).
Also not UNIX. :P Anyone else want to drag Amiga or BeOS into this now? Sheesh.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
The iPhone runs Unix, too. And that's probably more of Unix than Android would be.
Hopefully Tizen will be a worthy replacement for Maemo...
Ironically, iOS is based on Darwin (Mach 3), based on BSD, and thus IS a UNIX OS. heheh.. finally, someone got their history right whether they knew it or not. (Since Android runs Linux, yes--it's not UNIX in the least.)
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: