View Single Post
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Well, I've slept on this. And I still don't like it.

It's not that I mind about it being fedora not debian - to be honst, I don't understand all that enough to have an informed opinion.

It's not that nobody had the courtesy to give our five (yes, just five) elected representatives a 24 hour heads up, leaving poor Valerio to carry it all on his own.

It's not even that the new name embodies all that I despise most in the corproate marketing of technology.

It's that I'm no longer sure I shall belong.

The moblin 'community' is basically made up of intel employees.
The moblin 'community' has expressed interest in working with the Maemo developer community.

So far so good. But maemo.org is made up not only of developers and highly technically knowlegdeable people. Maemo.org includes, supports and values end users. Average bears.

Now, end users are a mixed blessing. We make a lot of noise and chatter. Some of us are useful contributers but frankly, some of us are not. A quick wander through t.m.o. quickly reveals the downside as well as the upside of having end users around. Heck, let's be honest, there are people in maemo.org who'd like to get rid of us! One or two individuals who would happily kill the forum completely to get back to the 'heart' of the comunity as they see it. (And I suspect they're already suggesting that Meego might provide just that opportunity.)

There are wise people saying that it's 'up to us' to shape the future, to decide what we want Meego to be. But is it? Honestly? If Intel said to Nokia "We want your community but get rid of the end users" would Nokia refuse? Would Maemo?

So I'll Wait and See. But I might be around just a little less, and I might be looking for a new 'home', just in case.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post: