View Single Post
Originally Posted by petur View Post
Since the whole point of using wireless headphones is to have no more wires, I wouldn't go for anything less than something like the plantronics backbeat. Never was easier to pull headphones out of the bag and start listening. Look, NO WIRES!
Well I can think of several reasons for using bluetooth where wires are irrelevant:
  • You dont want to have to hold the device to your head - ie to be using a browser or terminal (I do unix support) whilst on a call
  • You want to be able to move about whilst still listening to music but not carry the phone
  • You want a mic always close to your mouth
  • You want to be hands free to cook, type, change nappies... whatever

Now the original Nokia buds can help a bit there - but not with the second point. But you get the choice of the Nokia buds or ... well thats it, since very few 'phones or buds include a Nokia compatible mic in the right place.

Now something like the HS3000 allows you:
  • to use any ear/head-phone/bud combo you like. Anything that has a 3.5mm jack
  • And anything that has a 3.5mm stereo jack includes your home stereo, PA system, car audio, wog-box....
  • And you can still use the mic where it should be... hands free.

When you buy a normal bluetooth headset you are limited to only using the audio reproduction device provided - ie the phones or bud in the device. You have no choice to use one with the sound you like, or a fit thats more comfortable, or your Hifi, car audio etc etc. Sure you can plug those into the phone... but the mic is in the phone place - it's on the phone so you cant be hands free unless you can perch the phone near your head.

So you see - the HS3000 and its ilk really works for some of us.

(PS. A year ago, I couldnt see the point either... )

The Following User Says Thank You to phedders For This Useful Post: