View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Naw, throw away that form factor and get something like the Readius polymervision 3GSM .
That's a cool trick, in a first-generation, "watch the low resolution black and white screen slowly update" sort of way. I look forward to seeing that kind of foldable / rollable screen in actual devices, with more speed and maybe even colour. Also, touchscreen.

Originally Posted by maxinflixion View Post
- Atom processor is not a must, but it needs to be sufficient to AT least be able to encode video when docked.
What?! You do understand that encoding video is one of the most processor intensive applications, right?

I really don't understand where you're going with this. Why not have a powerful desktop computer do all that heavy-lifting? What's the benefit of being able to do this stuff when docked, other than being able to keep your files on-device?

I would rather have a huge pipe to my device, a truly high-bitrate solution. USB 2.0 would be nice, or 802.11n, or something (HDSPA on the road). And of course, there should be no other architectural bottlenecks to slow down the transfer speeds. Because then I can just use sshfs to connect securely and quickly to my big network storage drives from anywhere, and ssh+vnc to remotely control my fast-processor desk computer. The hand-held device should be fast enough to play the (high resolution, high bitrate) video, but encoding it should be done off-tablet.

Anyway. Here's my "ooh I wish I could have this" moment: I would love a high-resolution micro-projector in / for my tablet. That would be an acceptable alternative to video-out.

But nah, I still want video out.