View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
I'd be very surprised if Solu is still a thing in 2 years time.

As a portable device, it lacks any sort of 3GPP connectivity (GSM/GPRS/UMTS/LTE) so it's not going to replace your smartphone.

As a desktop, it requires a keyboard and monitor for docking. People that already have these, already have a desktop too with an OS far more capable Android (and in many cases, it will have better hardware too). It remains to be seen what they've done with their OS to set it apart standard Android. Their concept of "projects" sounds like KDE Activities which I still haven't found a use for that suits my work flow.

Outside of the office, desktop computing is practically dead for most ordinary people (non-geeks). This won't make it into the office as it lacks the proprietary software that businesses seem to love. I can't see that it offers anything compelling enough to convince many people to buy one for personal use.

On top of all these problems, they expect users to pay a subscription of €20 a month. If they're lucky, they might find a niche market for this device.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2015-10-17 at 07:16.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: