View Single Post
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
Quim is looking for the council to create some specific proposals for what they would like to achieve.

Personally, my priorities for a post-Nokia Maemo environment are (in descending order) device software distribution (and flashers, etc), nokia repositories (device software and development), documentation, community respositories, mailing lists, forum, wiki. The reasons for that are (i) we have to keep the devices usable as a top priority, (ii) tools for developers are important to allow future maintenance and enhancement, (iii) a community needs a communication infrastructure. Autobuilders would be nice but are certainly not critical and are likely to be very tough to maintain, and possibly expensive. Other things like promotion, community testing, application search tools, etc are lower priority still.

I wonder if we should abandon "maemo.org" as a hostname? In particular, the next release of the CSSU could force all references to "maemo.org" to be looked up as (say) "maemocommunity.org".

This would allow us to walk away from supporting all the Nokia customers who were not willing to upgrade to the CSSU -- they would be Nokia's problem, to do with as they wished (support, drop support, whatever). This would mean a much lower load on new servers (although it would increase over time, presumably, as Nokia dropped support and some small proportion of those people heard about the community and switched to the CSSU).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Graham Cobb For This Useful Post: