View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Council will help in acting as a counter-balance on the Board...Although unlikely there is always a possibility of the Board not exactly acting in the interests of the community-at-large hence the Council will help in keeping them on their toes...

Oh and this doesn't count the day-to-day things the Council will be required for like canvassing community opinion on matters etc...
It seems to me that the risk of council being derailed regarding proper representation of community is about equally high as for board.

Going through the points at http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council#Council_work I see really few (maybe 1 or max 2) that aren't already either absolutely obsolete (device program, sponsorship of anual events) or done by board rather than council anyway (hiring stuff), and those max 2 points *could* as well get done by board - no need to have a council in parallel to the board entity, with all the overhead already mentioned this will introduce.

I'm not saying council is useless or obsolete per se, I just wonder if it's worth the effort to have two entities. The suggested control function over board is moot anyway in my book. Anyway that's just my take on that, and it's up to community to decide. I just think that in times where we have trouble to find 5 volunteers for one entity, it's maybe not really helpful to have two entites to populate and then see both fail due to lack of candidates.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-11-04 at 12:04.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: