View Single Post
Getting a second unit is useful :
- to have a replacement device if needed (1st device lost/broken/etc.)
- to have a R&D device (make some "unsafe" dev without bricking your daily phone, etc.)
While in the first case it's fine to wait for a second run, getting a second device from the start can be useful in the second case.

I call "orphan device" a device which built (because of a 100+€ donation) but not sold to his donator (because the final price is too expensive).
I'm not saying (at all) an orphan device should be sold cheaper. I'm just saying I hope every "orphan" will find a buyer, because each produced and unsold neo900 is an amount of money spent and not paid back.
So, the goal is to avoid unsold devices, and consequently to avoid getting "too many" orphan devices.

You may be confident every neo900 will be sold, but I'm sadly not so optimistic.
I'm confident the Neo900 will rock and fill the most my needs, but I'm sure it's a niche product (mostly designed for geeks and computer scientists).
If you take the example of open pandora (the open device I know the most), it's a freaking good (retro)gaming device, but there are still 30 for sale on dragonbox.de (classic + rebirth + 1 GHz) whereas the production stopped about 1 year ago and everybody knows from then they are the last one available (next pandora runs will only concern pyras).

So, if we consider allowing two donations to be eventually merged in one discount after the price of the neo900 is set :
Good thing : it may encourage donators to do multiple 100+€ donations (in order to eventually buy more than 1 device) -> it brings more funds and reduces the "per device" cost
Bad thing : it increases the number of potential orphan devices

That's why I wand to know :
Once the final price of a Neo900 is set, will a donator of multiple 100+€ be allowed to merge his discounts ?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bearserker For This Useful Post: