View Single Post
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
I have some concerns regarding promotion to Extras of KPv50.

Considering that users in Extras might not be aware of TMO or how to look for information, the problems that may arise for that users installing KPv50 or upgrading from KPv42 should be looked carefully.

Actually I consider two problems as showstoppers for promotion (please indicate is someone foresees other issues):
- Joikuspot
- Bless N900 / A Better Camera

These are closed source applications available at the OVI Store and not likely to be updated, so my proposal is that KP installation should take care of the following steps:

1. On installation, show a debhelper message requiring acceptance and indicating the possible problems, providing a link to TMO thread for more information and support.
2. In postinstall script, if Joikuspot or Bless N900/ABC are installed, perform the necessary operations to fix the problems.

For second step, maybe two new packages named "Fix for Jikuspot with KP" and "Fix for BlessN900/ABC with KP" could be prepared. Each of the packages could perform the needed operations, in the case of Joikusput I think it was something like this while for BlessN900/ABC, reinstalling FCam drivers from Extras devel could be needed.

This proposal can be improved, but at least some semi automatic solution should be provided before final promotion to Extras.
I am not aware of any problems with Joikuspot and KP50, will you please elaborate?

If I understand it correctly, fcam drivers copy kernel modules in /lib/modules/current, and in case of a new kernel installation fcam drivers are lost. Well, this looks like a problem wih fcam drivers, not kernel-power problem. And if fcam-drivers are of -devel quality and cannot be promoted to extras, i don't see any way kernel-power to depend on them. On the other hand fcam drivers could be easily added a bootup script checking for drivers existence in /lib/modules/current and if they are missing , to copy them (similar to what vmware-tools upon kernel ugrade ). I really think you should raise a bug agains fcam-drivers for the above issue.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post: