View Single Post
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Thanks for the mail Vitaly!

I have just a couple of questions, and some (hopefully helpful) feedback.

Originally Posted by vitaly_repin View Post
- It does not work with google!
- Yes. And it should not. The release of the software which you can find in the box you have received was not designed to be compatible with google.

...snip...

- Ohoho! But what is the problem with google? I really want to have it!
- Google implementation of ActiveSync protocol and MS implementation of ActiveSync are different implementations of the protocol. http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...statement.mspx

- Can community do something to get the google support on board?
- Yes. Influence Google (to be compatible with N900) and Nokia (to be compatible with google).

So, guys, I am waiting for your feedback. What are the worst problems you experience with MfE solution for Maemo?
First - is the MfE module source code public? Is there any way that the community could address any problems with the Google interaction?

Second - do you have a test suite for MfE, with details on the stuff which definitely/sometimes doesn't work with Google (calendar, contacts or mail), please? Test suite results would at least let people know what stuff it's OK to use & what stuff is a bit dodgier.

Third - Do you know if there is a way to synchronise contacts over SyncML with Google? This worked pretty well for me on my Nokia N82, I imagine (?) that it might also work well with my N900, if the client software's been ported.

That's it for questions. I also have some feedback on stuff which doesn't work well (with Google - so it's OK if your answer is "It's not supposed to work"):

- I have regular failed syncs with contacts.
- On at least one occasion, a sync which failed half way through left me with only a third of my contacts on the phone. A successful sync afterwards got me back into a better position.
- It may only be an impression, or an interaction of a wifi issue & the sync issue, but I have the impression that often, after failed syncs, I lose routing information for my wifi connection too. I stay connected to my access point, but there's no DNS resolution or external internet access.

Anyway, thanks for MfE, and even if it doesn't work yet, it seems to me like there is a desire to go this route for Google and Nokia, so I imagine it will work better as time goes on.

Thanks!
Dave.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post: