View Single Post
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Yes, and we are here supporting him. What is the issue? Waiting for information whenever it’s available. Could it be that you have misread the thread? To me atleast it’s obvious that all are hoping that chen will succeed.
You went from comparing (multiple times) Chen's project with yet another Jolla tablet drama, then irony on the impossible schedule and unfeasible goals, then a cynical and skeptical ranting (I got it that it was written to be funny, but your point was still clear), then suggesting that whether or not Chen is actually trying to deliver the product remains to be proven, then admitting that he doesn't have to disclose what is deemed NDA or sensible before there is a prototype to show, and now you are claiming that we are all clearly supporting him. Altogether, those posts are very hard to reconcile and I'm sure I'm not the only one to be a bit surprised by this vision of support.

Also, a search on "Chenliangchen" in this thread quickly shows that he disclosed much more than just "I will deliver something absolutely fantastic. Close your eyes and have trust." Please try, and remember that this thread was just opened exactly one year ago. Chen has postponed his initial plans to work on the device as soon as last year because he decided to finish the Moto Mod first, probably to better allocate time and ressources, get better visibility in the media, and have a demonstrated proof record. Coincidentally, he went away from the initial crowdfunding plan and started prototyping the device without our money. Causal relationship? Absolutely no clue, but at least the change of plan did not compromise the project. Therefore, we are most likely just a few months into development, yet he shared more about his intentions and the final product he is aiming for than with any other non-crowdfunded project. Actually, I'm not even sure all crowdfunding campaigns disclose this much information at such an early stage: they usually have prototypes and images to show before they try to raise funds from the public, but remain silent until that point, meaning the backers know about a project months or years after it was started internally.

In the end, maybe there are only two ways to properly manage expectations (I personally am not convinced it has to be that binary but that is just one opinion and it is not the point), but I find it pretty harsh to call this project closed and secret. The only major interrogation from a user's perspective is the OS, but it's reasonable to assume that compatibility and/or partnerships remain to be confirmed when a first functional prototype is built and the possible user base can be assessed. How Livermorium plan to secure production and finally hit the market is up to them (I suppose they will need to check anyhow what the demand is the beyond niche-TMO to see if it is reasonable to commit to producing thousands of units), and it is our right to have concerns because we hope the device ends up in our hands, but how many companies share their economic strategy to the public and to competitors?

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-07-30 at 20:35.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: