View Single Post
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
I am sorry to say that I am leaving this community now. I have been involved since the earliest days of the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet and have had a lot of fun, made some contributions myself, and greatly appreciate the efforts of all who have been involved in Maemo, Meego, Mer, Sailfish and Jolla, through ups and downs. As a former community council member, I have used a Maemo-derived phone as my main phone for a long time.

Unfortunately we seem to have lost the battles to create an open phone platform, attractive enough to app developers and users (who are the ones who make or break a platform by their mutual dependency) and open enough to have a strong community of developers to support the manufacturer/software developer. It is great that we lasted (a lot) longer than Microsoft, and that some efforts continue but I am giving up. My Jolla C is failing and more and more of my life requires apps that are only available on Android or Apple and will never be available on other platforms, whether Sailfish, some other Linux platform, or even on Android derivatives like /e/ or LineageOS, let alone true FOSS like Replicant.

I am not going to criticise Nokia, Jolla or any of the community leaders who have taken us this far. We had a good go!

In case anyone is interested: I have ordered an iPhone. I am hoping that Apple, who have made privacy a part of their commercial message, are at least better than Google in that aspect. They seem to understand that some people are willing to pay a price premium to not be the product and have more control than Google allows. Not that I am recommending Apple to anyone else - both Apple and Google are companies I would prefer not to do business with. Make your own decisions.

So long. Thanks for everything. And best of luck to the whole Maemo and Sailfish communities.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Graham Cobb For This Useful Post: