View Single Post
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I think so far nothing was even said about their balance of closed vs open parts. Let's hope there will be as little closed parts as possible. Especially in the UX area. Closed drivers can be probably expected (it's just close to impossible to get open drivers from the manufacturers). But having open UX will ensure that this system will live on. Closed ones (like Harmattan) just die out, when the company can't develop it anymore for whatever reason.
it's actually something i talked to my Lecturer about today, He's a proper all things open source guru. Has 10 raspberry pi's uses debian does not need a mouse, can watch movies in asci

i spoke to him about open source software and he was annoyed about a small part of raspberry pi Ethernet driver code being closed. "He said 99.9% of it is open and 0.1% is closed and i don't like that"

But look at this community, the N900 is such a hit, the mods, fixes, changes, physical amendments ...ect it's an open source toy you can have endless fun with.

Before N9 i knew nothing of this but now i am feeling moving away from Windows and M$ ********. I really want a truly open source phone.