View Single Post
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Yeah, the Gemini PDA looks like yet another of these billions of revolutionary IGG tech gadgets. It's smaller than a GPD and yet seemed to be more powerful with a larger battery. In fact, they mostly sold the case and the keyboard, but nothing in the specification list or software is set in stone yet, which is not a good sign. I really don't see how they can achieve what is advertised in the campaign in such a small form-factor and at such a price, and the lack of news is not encouraging. No matter how much I would like a device like that to happen, I don't think the Gemini PDA will be what it was supposed to be when it was funded. And I didn't know about these kernel limitations but that does not sound good either.

I'm still hoping that Neo900 will happen, but I admit I'm very concerned about the time frame. The device might just end up being more outdated when it comes out that the N900 was three or four years after its release.

My hopes are very high with Chenlianghen projects, although his Lauta-revival will likely not be something as open and flexible as a N900, Pyra or Neo900 since it may ship with Sailfish, it would still be a very nice smartphone alternative for modern days. And who knows, maybe we'd be able to boot something else than a phone OS on it, but I'm trying not to set my expectations too high on this point.

Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
My worry about the addition of the fan is not that the fan per se is bad. I worry that this means the case may need a re-spin or two, and the project could be delayed by many months. I had hoped I'd have a Pyra in my hand by the end of 2017. Now I'm afraid I won't.
EvilDragon stated that making vents in the case would not require much extra work or any significant update of the mold:

We will also add a few venting holes below the USB port. No worries, the mold doesn't need to be changed for that - an inlay for the mold will be created for that.
Of course he only mentions the vents and not the actual mounting of the fan, but I guess he wouldn't emphasize on the fact that the case does not need to be changed for the vents if the fan, which is one of the main reasons why vents would be useful, would require more substantial work.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-07-17 at 14:13.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: