View Single Post
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Oblomow View Post
Honestly, if someone steals my phone I do not care much if that person is able to wipe and sell it, it's gone for me anyhow, it would not return just because the bootloader is locked, but would end up in a trashcan or sold in parts. Until thieves start to watch out specially for jollas there's still a long way to go...

The IMEI solution sounds nice, but a but complicated... is it possible that the user just sets a flag "allow free flashing y/n" and that it is disabled by default? I guess for many people here the risk of bricking is higher than the risk of theft.
Most likely software updates will also bring your remote security features where you can track and hopefully retrieve your stolen devices. And that lockcode prevention is part of that story.

Users beeing able to set a flag which would allow bootloader unlock would be one idea, not making any promises, but putting it in drawing board along with imei based solution.

PS. Oh and forgot to mention that locked bootloader+lockcode combination is also protecting your data, so if someone steals your phone with company secrets then he is not able to access them (but with factory reset & lockcode combination device can be still wiped). Some people like that their secrets remain secret, but yes, some people dont care if their nosy wife or husband can spy them by bypassing the lockcode with bootloader commands.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2013-12-20 at 10:03.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post: