View Single Post
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by qviri View Post
The N800's audio chip is pretty good as far as mobile devices go, but without a dedicated quality sound card I assure you you won't be able to hear a difference between 320 kbps MP3 and FLAC, no matter what kind of headphones you use.

The only real reason I see for trying to play FLACs is to avoid the hassle of transcoding into a lossy format if your main collection is in FLAC.
Not everything is about what you consiously hear though... I find myself enjoying the music more when listening to lossless formats rather than lossy. Try it. Play a few songs in say 320kbps mp3 and then as a flac and go back and forth a few times. (Same songs in both formats of course) Then ask yourself, "Which would I listen to for a whole day?" and "Which is more/less annoying, which is more/less pleasant on the ears and to my body." and "Which makes me tap my foot and hum along?"

Vague? You bet! Same questions are good when buying stereo equipment btw... Would you rather buy the system with the brilliant mid-range, or the system that makes you tap your foot?

The Following User Says Thank You to bow For This Useful Post: