View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
The best way to be compatible with the official Jolla shop ("no daemon allowed" rule) and end-users desire (background daemon), while avoiding to have 2 completely different codepaths, would be :

- always run the server in a separate process
- (which also means : design some inter-process communication. DBUS ? simple webservice ? protocole buffers ?)
- give the ability to start only that process ("OSMScout --daemon" or something)

- for the version available on openrepos.net :
pack a systemd ".service" file that only start the daemon in background

- for the version avaiable on the shop :
don't pack that file.

When UI starts, it checks (see the IPC mentionned above) if there's a daemon process answering.
If not, it launches the daemon as a child process / as just another thread of the main UI task.

On the official version it means that the service will only be available while the UI is running (even if it uses a weird IPC instead of directly calling functions).

On the openrepos version, people have the possibility to launch the daemon in background at boot ("systemctl enable OSMscout.service") and only launch the UI to monitor daemon activity.
Indeed, that would be a proper way of doing it. Would have to move all communication between GUI and the server to RPC then. Not too easy since it requires some redesign, but possible. I have added your suggestions to the corresponding github issue and let's see when I will get to that.

Alternative to RPC would be to add a command line switch and make some lock file. When user starts GUI, I can kill the daemon and run as GUI app. When GUI app is closed, a new daemon can be started as well. I would have to think how to ensure that its all working

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: