View Single Post
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
These days you have the Nokia leadership team and comms department bringing radical news about the company. There is a myriad of journalists, financial analysts and enthusiasts like you hunting new quotes from Nokia employees. Be no surprised if most of the @nokia.com contributors you used to follow are silent - busy with the same work we were doing before yesterday's announcement.

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
And what do you have to say this time about the shiny future of Meego and Qt?
I have to say that I'm waiting for more news to come in relation to Qt and MeeGo, from Nokia, from my colleagues working in these teams and from other Qt and MeeGo stakeholders. Mobile World Congress hasn't even started and the dust from yesterday's announcements is far from settled.

I understand how someone reading yesterday's headlines and trying to catch up with all the heated feedback and rumors can get to fast conclusions about Nokia and its role around Qt and MeeGo. Even to fast conclusions about Qt and MeeGo themselves.

If that helps, I haven't reached to my conclusions yet.

Nokia indeed announced a partnership with Microsoft to fight together on the segment of smartphones with an offering based on Windows Phone and its developer tools. And this is indeed a segment that the previous plan aimed to address with MeeGo, Symbian and a Qt based developer offering.

However, Nokia also announced yesterday plans to sell a billion devices to new Internet mobile users, sell 150 million Symbian devices, release a MeeGo open source product this year, and position MeeGo under the CTO activities as an open source platform for future disruptions. Stephen Elop said explicitly that these activities are out of the scope of the Microsoft deal and I'm still waiting to hear more about them. Also, the technophile in me can't avoid thinking of the possibilities and feasibility of putting Qt to work together with Windows Phone, regardless of the business and marketing sense such feature would have yesterday and in the times to come.

As a software freedom lover (just like many of you) and as a professional with a full time job in this field (thanks for reminding this little detail) I still ask myself what is the best work to do there. Sure, Qt and MeeGo had a chance to be at the edge of the Nokia strategy on high-end devices and this plan has changed now. But considering the size, the sophistication and the potential of innovation in the activities out of the scope of the Microsoft deal, I have no hurry to write off any of the technologies or the people I'm working with today. Any of these activities might bring a big and deep contribution to the free software community, which at the end is the main motivation of my work.

Following my nose is part of my job planning and ironing open source strategies. Today, even with all this unsettling dust, my nose tells me that there is a lot of interesting work to be uncovered somewhere under these renovated Nokia goals. Bare with me these days if I'm too silent outside, have no doubt that I keep doing my best inside.

The Following 149 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
aboaboit, acvetkov, admiral0, alcalde, alephito, ancow, Andre Klapper, ARJWright, attila77, b-man, benlau, benny1967, Benson, bergie, BigBadGuber!, bigears5000, borghal, Bundyo, buurmas, cferrism, cfh11, ChadiM, Chrome, cjp, Crashdamage, D4rKlar, dantonic, Dave999, debernardis, Drekkie, edgar2, EIPI, evad, fnordianslip, franchg, frostbyte, fw190, GaryHT627, gazza_d, geneven, GeraldKo, ghzroy, giorgosmit, gordonshowers, Helmuth, hschmitt, hstende, ironm8, ivgalvez, Jaekaelae, Jaffa, javispedro, jeremiah, joelus, John McClane, joppu, kevloral, kimitake, kmare, kopte3, kwurk, lardman, littlebadger, lma, longcat, Maemomd, maluka, Mara, mark_ireland, martinlittle, mbo, mdengler, mece, Mentalist Traceur, Metsämies, microe, MiK546, mikec, mikecomputing, mivoligo, mjc, mmlado, mr id, mrojas, m_sparks, N900_super_user, naabi, Naranek, Nathan, Nikem, nikolajhendel, nwerneck, object, onion, ossipena, OVK, P@t, pantera1989, Parlapipas, pillar, pycage, qosmio, raghu_mark, rainmaster, Rauha, RevdKathy, RFS-81, sachin007, sada11, saned, Sasler, sjgadsby, slender, smoothc, Snoshrk, Soder, Sopwith, SSLMM, stlpaul, Stonik, strank, Stskeeps, SubCore, thp, travla, Trestry, tswindell, twaelti, uhbhatti88, v13, Venemo, vgasmo, Viipottaja, vijayv, vitaminj, vi_, vkv.raju, volt, Wanker, WilliePre, X-Fade, ysss, zerojay, zimon, zwer, __-_-_-__