View Single Post
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Milhouse,

Quick question can your app for mmc boot be completely removed so I can start the whole process again or do I need to reflash os2008 and reformat the mmc card I used.
You don't need to start the whole process again - just follow the instructions to the later and don't invent your own, this is where you went wrong.

The mmc boot menu is by Fanoush, but yet it can be removed by reflashing just the initfs portion of the device which avoids losing any installed apps, or reflashing the whole firmware if you are happy to restart from scratch. But you don't need to do this, it won't solve your problem.

Please look at all my comments and see where I went wrong.
You haven't followed the instructions - don't use any directory other than ~/bin when downloading nupgrade.sh and tar. If you invent your own directory (such as ~/sin) then this process will not work.

I think I went wrong in several places but the big one might be naming file ./sin instead of ./bin. What do you think.
Correctomondo!

Everthing works. it still boots from flash and it says it boots from mmc but I don't see all the memory. Only 4.87 out of 16gb.
Fanoush's boot menu will try to boot from MMC but fall back to internal flash if the MMC card is corrupt (or in your case, does not have a viable OS cloned to it).

Any help you give me will be greatly appreciated.
If I need to flash I will have to go the Nokia store in NYC and redo everyhting tonight. I leave tomorrow morning.
I get the strange feeling that I missed a step and nothing was harmed or damaged permanently. You have way more experience in this than I do. I'm just thinking out loud. I have learned a termendous amount. I'm begining to see how Linux works and how the n800 operates behind the screen. It's all good.
Thanks,
Dan
Nothing is harmed as far as I can tell - you just need to start step 7 in these instructions and follow them to the letter, then all should be well.