View Single Post
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Well, have you heard about the Neo900. I think to make your own device isn't possible. At least if it should be affordable and up to date. The Neo900 is still not ready. When it is ready (if ever) it is not outdated it's an oldtimer.
I have and OpenMoko and such like. No offence to the people doing that but it strikes me as an almost impossible task with the outcome being a slightly better N900 that is still years behind what is expected today... and then there's the price.

Originally Posted by pagis
Isn't easier to port SFOS on Sony Z5 compact instead?
Probably but they've stopped making those now. It's replaced by the X Compact which incidentally looks like a slightly more oblong N9 - I'd love a port to that but would we get all the hardware working? The camera alone seems like a challenge to get the OIS and laser focusing supported. Maybe better to start with something with a less fancy camera.

Plus the idea was to spec base hardware and let people with 3D printers mess about with form.

neildk - I'm sure you have to be careful with specifying what you want delivered hence this topic. If we can spec it all out, including deliverables such as drivers then we might have a chance at a community device with less binary blobs that cause issues later on.

cvp - the problem with a poll is that there's one winner and like we've had in the UK recently, it's not always the informed, knowledgable people that win. It would be a waste of time if device XYZ wins but it's impossible to port to. The idea was we spec core hardware (eg. a Qualcomm CPU 6xx, Adreno GPU xxx, modem xxx, sensors etc) and then the form factor such as keyboards, screens, battery sizes is something we can fiddle with after device no. 1 is done.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: