View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
To make use of the new TTS engines and the need for people to install obscure packages manually, the logic needs to be changed to pre-generate the messages to temporary files first and then just play those files (via QML) once needed. This could also make recorded voice sample based navigation possible (IIRC Marble has a good collection of multilingual navigation voice samples).
Prerecorded voices would require limited phrases. This assumption doesn't hold for routing engines adding street names into the instructions. Also supporting multiple routing engines doesn't help either ...

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Also - it it possible to detect the language for place names in Valhalla output ? If they could be tagged by language (or even just country) it might be possible to set a different language in the TTS engine just fort he place name (at least espeak can do that).
In theory, its possible. I don't know whether Valhalla imports multiple names (if available) when making the tiles. As soon as the names are available, should be possible to tag them in the instructions. Its not done yet, as far as I know.

I haven't filed the issue describing it in Valhalla's repo since I am not sure we can actually make use of this output (yet?). I think I saw somewhere mimic/flite issue regarding reading multi-language text, but it wasn't resolved at that time. Which brings the question up regarding partitioning: is it modRana/Poor Maps/... who is supposed to split the sentence and later glue it together or TTS? I would expect TTS to do that, but maybe its naïve.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: