View Single Post
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Second, if you let the use of a java authentication applet affect you so much that you choose bank on that basis, you just move the ******ed part from the bank to the user.

* Or have at some time been. I don't regularly check banks other than the handful I use, and netbanks do change from time to time.

Banks aside: the telephone's lack of java applet support is a drawback. No doubt about it.
My wording was harsh, I admit, but 99% of my interaction with my bank is over the internet. If the site turns unfriendly, I would most certainly consider switching.

How does this app work anyway? I can't see how it could increase security. Proof of security theater (a.k.a. incompetence) would be another reason to consider switching. There was also a recent scandal in Finland when Sampo bank's java BS was reading all kinds of sensitive files on the users' systems.

It would be nice if Maemo supported java for other reasons than banking, but surely a VM can be installed under Easy Debian if you really need one?

Originally Posted by esswang View Post
And by the way - this joker never complained about Silverlight not working. He simply stated that the service run by TV2 in Norway streams TV using WMV or Silverlight (optional). Espen Irwing Swang
Ok, I read that a bit quickly... I thought it said WMV on Silverlight. But it's still a bit rich to put so much focus on proprietary technologies. Almost half your article is about problems with Exchange, WMV, lack of DRM and how the bundled Office viewer can't write files.

Frankly I got the impression you tested all the features you had on your previous phone without testing any of the features that the N900 adds, thus only finding negatives. Not very imaginative.

Edit: ok, that's not entirely fair. You mention the advanced browser and video codec support. But then you give up due to one bug and one streaming video site that doesn't work...

Last edited by livefreeordie; 2009-11-17 at 20:04.