View Single Post
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
You're not wrong, if You keep in mind that running hildon-home and derrivatives, with it's dependencies, will allow most (?) applications written for maemo, to work flawlessly in CordiaTAB, keeping full Meego possibilities, mainstream kernel etc.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Sadly I will have to correct you.. the modified Hildon GTK+ will not transplant well to modern systems and there is a very high likelihood that all apps will have to be modded to run on top of stock GTK+ and Hildon. Stskeeps said once that MaemoPad had to be significantly modded.

There is significant amount of work to be done to replicate the Hildon stack. Just look at how much trouble the Mer project had. They even used a Hildon GTK+ (breaking most other gtk stuff and making it stuck at ancient gtk version)

I'm hearing around that MeeGo Community Edition is looking to transfer more governance roles to community. Maybe that is a direction people/maemo.org/maemo.org council should consider? Comes with people /team responsible to maintain the difficult hardware adaptation parts for N900/N950 and a basic working set of functionality/UI and already working app stack.

What are your thoughts?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tekki For This Useful Post: