View Single Post
Originally Posted by jurop88 View Post
This was the main point I was referring to. HW is useless without SW, but SW cannot exist with no HW! I agree on the fact we have to concentrate on SW but without HW to play with everything we can do is without REAL goals.
So again, which is the direction we should go? The fact we have an HW adaption layer for the 900 is a good step for keeping devices up to date as much as possible. Are we ready to abandon our 770 and 800/810? I think Meego is the the right path to follow now (and a project like Cordia can keep going Hildon desktop for people who likes its interface), but I am reluctant to move on Meego.org (only a lurker there). I - as already said - have no enough skills to take a good decision because I cannot master 'the big picture', but I am ready to follow some (good) suggestion when they arrive and to support a path leading to a 'free' HW coupled with 'free' SW. I mean, not ideologically, but an HW with wich I decide want I want to do and WHEN to dismiss it, not the corp. who produced it.
Again, I am ready to go to a CordiaTab, but we already saw many 'open' projects to fail miserably because what is needed is something USEFUL and NOW. A nice piece of equipment just for the sake of it is totally useless, I have to browse with it, to make calculus, to fix my appointments, to save contacts and to take notes with. And perhaps to read a (free or paid) book when I have some time or to hear (free or paid - I am an old style man with 500+ vynils and 400+ cds, almost all ripped in .ogg) music with it. I don't care to show it to my friends and to say 'hey, look at it and see how cool is it, isn't it??? Nobody has a tablet like mine...'
No, I need something useful and with which I decide which contact had to be synced with my google contacts. I don't want everything of my life to published on Facebook, I decide what to share and what's mine.
Cordiatab looks like excellent point from the point of hardware openness (this still has to be proven). What ever happens with maemo distribution (translate to meego, or branch on its own), the most critical thing is providing hardware support.

For n900 that is done by stskeeps in the form of closed sourced binaries. That excludes maemo devices 770/N800/N810 pretty much. For maemo devices we might have following choices:
  1. Nokia provides open source drivers or full hardware specification (meego plan A)
  2. Nokia provides binaries through stskeeps as for N900 (meego plan B)
  3. We try to work with what we have, backporting features to kernel and rest of open source pieces in order to maintain binary compatibility with existing binaries
  4. simply let it die, and focus on projects like cordiatab, or any other where manufactorer is willing to provide open specification or OSS drivers.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-08-10 at 14:15.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post: