View Single Post
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Lieto, Finland
Interesting post I may not have read every post in this thread with care, but here's my opinion.

Nothing prevents you to run "Plain Qt" applications on top of Maemo 6 UI Framework AFAIK. In that case you dont' use DuIApplication and other DuiStuff. Instead you use QApplication and other QWidgets. It will probably work as it works on Hildon Qt. Antonio ported Qt to Hildon environment so that it handles e.g. all the QActions in a toolbar, meaning that you don't see the regular "file", "edit" menus on toolbar. Instead you see them when pressing the view menu on the Hildon toolbar. I hope that they will provide a Maemo specific Qt style which makes regular QWidget based widgets such as buttons to look more like maemo buttons.

All this means that you are forced to use Qt version that is ported on the device, but that's all.

What comes to the Dui side. I guess Nokia wants to provide a certain set of widgets built on top of QGraphicsView so that it would be easier to build an application on the Harmattan based device. So AFAIK nothing prevents you to run plain Qt application on Harmattan device.

I don't know anything about Qt on Symbian, so I have no opinion on that, but according the Qt ideology, code once, use everywhere should work there also. But this conserns only applications that are based Qt API directly, not the API of Maemo 6 UI Framework... I believe.

FYI:
In Qt developer days Qt guys informed that some times in the future the all QWidget based widgets are planned to move on top of QGraphicsView. This is so big change that I guess we need to wait this quite long, but you never know.

NOTE:
These are just my personal opinions, assumptions and hopes

The Following User Says Thank You to zchydem For This Useful Post: