View Single Post
Ran into some snags the other day while attempting to import the NAB. The vpl2mod.exe program that is available apparently checks text versification against the KJV schema. The NAB had quite a few extra verses that are not found in the KJV and threw a bunch of warnings at me. Come to think of it, I don't recall whether or not it threw flags for extra *books* in the NAB.

Anyways, this helped me find some bugs in my original parser and when I fixed it and re-ran my NASB text on it, I discovered that 3 John 1:15 only exists in the NASB! That is to say, 3 John 1:14 is 1 verse in KJV but it's split into 2 verses in the NASB. And because 3 John 1:15 is not recognized as being a valid KJV reference, you get a warning. Yay.

After doing some googling this morning I found many posts and threads pointing this to be a known concern within the Sword community, though I'm not sure of how they're moving to resolve it. I took a look at the source for Sword as well and found that the versification validation schema is hardcoded into canon.h and therefore modifications to vpl2mod.cpp to ignore validation or canon.h to accomodate extra verses has implications not only for importing certain modules but also accessing them as the tree-based GUI is undoubtedly referencing canon.h as well.

So, I'm going to drop my attempts to import NAB and content myself to reading it online when comparing notes with Catholic friends. However, I still need the NASB for seminary, so I'm just going to modify the NASB text to merge 3 John 1:14-15.

Also while researching into this topic, I discovered some bash script utilities that allow users to download the text from online Bible sites and compile them into modules for import into Sword. They can be found here:

http://karl.kleinpaste.org/sword/scripts/scripts.tar.gz

There's an interesting text.bugs file included that describes other deviations from the standard KJV versification schema and suggests reasonable means of accomodating them.

Pamadio, don't know how active you are here on the forums. May I suggest creating a thread for Rapier specifically in the Apps section? I'd like to contribute towards getting dictionaries and concordances working on Rapier, as well as other features such as personal markup. As in, formatting key words or phrases as we read so we'll remember them, as well as adding notes. I see a lot of potential for the internet tablet to be used as a personal Bible study tool and think it'd be great to have this capability built into Rapier =)