Thread: N9 - yes or no?
View Single Post
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
Is the developer community as active as with the older n8x0 devices?
I can't really compare to N8x0 (only recently purchased an N810), but I'd say the developer community is less enthusiastic about N9 than the N900, due to the N9 form-factor (no HWKB) and the more closed nature of MeeGo-Harmattan. The flipside is that there are more commercial applications available.

Is it as easy to add custom repositories to install extra software. Do 3rd party repos exist?
Yes. You can add repositories via xterm, or use the appsformeego client.

Presumably there is still the same support for getting to the console and gainroot equivalent? I really liked using my n800 as an SSH client (with an external keyboard).
The permissions are more limited in MeeGo-Harmattan, due to Aegis security framework. You can get around this by flashing an open kernel or using Inception.

Python support? Still good?
Comes with version 2.6, and most of the useful Qt APIs have Python bindings. http://wiki.meego.com/Python/Harmattan

I've seen some references to USB OTG being worked on, how far has that got? I really want to be able to use my yubikey with it.
Seems to have stalled, but I could be wrong, as I don't hang out on IRC.

Just how good is the Android app support? Do apps like Google Sky Map work?
Nitdroid is being worked on. Forget about Alien Dalvik.

To answer your overall question: I wouldn't buy one, but I don't get into the business of making recommendations. It may suit your use case perfectly. All I would say is try to make an objective judgement and avoid being swayed by the siege mentality or the desire to be 'different'. Buying an N9 does not make a statement about your personality or character, and will not make one iota of difference to corporate decisions that have already been made.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2012-03-15 at 15:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post: