View Single Post
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Community_Council

I keep reading Maemo Community Council page, and I am trying to understand a few things. This is meant to be an informative discussion on what a community council member does, and how communication can be improved and more members can be reached.

Purpose (Mission)

To represent the Maemo Community's best interests to Nokia, and to act as a community conduit for Nokia-generated information.
This seems straightforward, but what is meant by Nokia? Is this internal to the maemo organization. Is this Nokia? I guess I could use a refresher on the Relationship between Nokia and Maemo.

Also what does the "community's best interest" mean, as defined by the elected members? I am much prefer this wording
"The Council's primary purpose is to represent the views and opinions of the Maemo Community to Nokia" taken from the top of the council page. Even with this wording, how do council members go about getting the views and opinions of the community at large?

Communication

Open communication is one of the core values of the Community Council, both to serve as an example to Nokia and because it's the right thing to do. All communication is open by default.

* All Community Council oriented conversation will happen either on the maemo-community mailing list, or over IRC in #maemo.
* Community and Council issues will be distilled and summarized in the Council blog (which is also syndicated to Planet).
* If you use Twitter, Community Council tweets can be followed using the hashtag #m.occ.
* Council members' tasks will be allocated the same as maemo.org staff, Nokia community liaisons and community members' committments through the sprint process.

Council Work

In addition to being committed community members (and all that entails), some of the specific responsibilities of the council include:

* Facilitation: making sure that one portion of the community knows what is going on in another

* Chairing the maemo.org sprint meetings, and representing the community
* Hiring of maemo.org staff
* Pushing to expand the community through organic growth
* Being able to speak authoritatively on behalf of the community when Nokia need a question answering (such as "would it be good if we did x & y" or "do you think Nokia should sponsor another summit")
* Backup mentors for the Google Summer of Code participation.
This process seems to me to be counter-productive to
1) Lets start by saying that the two items in red seem to contradict each other. Seems the most logical place to have these discussions is in the forums, since they are the most visited place on maemo.org? Additionally while the IRC logs are available and perhaps maybe the mail logs are too? It does not provide an easy way for people to follow. There is also council blog and it does provide information. Often this is information about things that have happened, like changes were made somewhere.

2) What does the council do on a day to day basis? How much of your time a week is spent on council activities? If someone else is considering running, what should they expect.

There are two things I hope to come of out his discussion,

Everyone will understand the roles council plays and what is expected from council members.

Additional thoughts on how to improve communication to the entire community, since this this the main role council plays.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

On top of all this, accomplishments. TOOT YOUR OWN HORN. Seriously you don't know how many times have I seen the guy that was holding the whole company together get fired because he was quietly sitting in the corner doing his job and three other peoples, but nobody knew what he was doing. Don't be that guy...

To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post: