Thread: Amazon Kindle
View Single Post
Originally Posted by wallcraf View Post
The Kindle includes a very basic web browser that uses Whispernet (Sprint EVDO), but it is essentially a dedicated ebook reader. Its 6" 4-greyscale screen (portrait mode) is as wide as a N810 in landscape mode and twice as high. So one Kindle page equals two FBReader N8X0 pages. One downside of E-Ink is that refreshes are slow, so zooming and panning isn't really an option. So the smaller N8X0 can be better for reading standard sized PDFs (which have to be converted for the Kindle anyway).
One point regarding screens; the N800 is 800x480, while the Kindle is 600x800 -- the linear resolution is about 75%, which means you may have to use larger fonts. If the Kindle were, say, 1024x768, it would be completely equivalent to 2 screens' worth, but as it stands sufficiently sharp-eyed (or habitually close-to-face) readers could get more like 1.25 worth. I, BTW, fall into those categories (a bit of both) so the current generation of ebook readers aren't very tempting to me. Next generation, I expect, should match the tablet's resolution (DPI), and I'll be much more tempted.