View Single Post
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
The Raspberry Zero is even more meager in term of CPU/RAM (it's still a first gen Broadcom CPU inside. It's not even ARMv7, but only ARMv6. It's single core CPU, with a very limited RAM - 512MB with no physical way to go beyond 1GB due to limited address pins).

I should be okay-ish for a feature-phone (think the new Nokia 3310), given its spec (think the same, but with a crappier screen).
But forget about running anything close to a "smartphone experience".
Still, I think an open source & hardware feature phone has been in the real of possibility for quite a while already so it's surprising such project has not showed up earlier.

An open device possibly with some room for customization by custom lightweight software could be very welcome for people who carry current aging or low-quality feature phones, either because they don't want a smartphone or have the feature phone as another isolated device just for calling/SMS.

(I think some software customization, say by enabling/disabling modules at firmware build time, similar to for example Linux kernel build, should still be possible. This avoids the "feature phone curse" where due to the fixed phone software it is often hard to find the one feature phone in existence that happens to match what you actually want it to do.)

Also an open easily customizable device in the feature phone class device could find use in various projects where you need a lot of custom end user terminals or even simple SMS/data modems for machines.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: