View Single Post
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
This thread really exposes the few exceptions to using commercial mobile, WiFi, and wired to the home data services, almost exclusively routed directly to tcp/ip internet.
Back in the 80s and early 90s we had local dialup BBSs, active packet radio like ALOHAnet(there is still limited ham radio APRS), various non internet mega-BBSs like Compuserve, etc.
Now offline we have cable and satellite TV, CD/DVD/Blueray media, local TV and radio and they are all directly decoded to video and/or audio for news and entertainment; newspapers, books, and magazines too but those seem to be going away. Who ever mails a first class letter anymore? I think only old people get newspapers and magazines; utility vs trash accumulation. How many of us remember getting 'programs' in computer magazines or at the computer shop printed out in a ziplock bag or envelope ready to be typed as Basic code into our home computer.
The thread just put me in mind of searching for fun and interesting non-internet data streams I could take advantage of, even just for hobby.
I am the kind of guy who has to resist wearing both a mechanical dive watch and my Pebble, I hate single point of failure.

Last edited by biketool; 2020-03-19 at 11:53.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: