View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
OK, guys, this is not for bugzilla as Nokia in its infinite wisdom already closed the related bug. It's also not for brainstorm as the only solution would be
Solution #1: FCS! Fix this ***** bug and make the VKB work as it did before PR1.1
This leaves me with a lonely posting in the rant-section of this forum. Oh, we don't have one yet? That could be worth a brainstorm....

Who of all Finns had the idea for - and who approved - the new behavior of the VKB??? Who was it? Step forward and let us know what you thought it would improve!

I went by train the other day and thought I'd just type on the VKB as I used to when it comes to short text input... No need to pull out the physical keyboard. Was I wrong!!! Every 4th-5th character was wrong because although I did hit the right key initially (I could see it in the text input area), the movement of the train made my fingers slide just a few millimeters afterward, just enough to turn an M into a J or an S into an E.

As if this wasn't enough, what really slowed me down was the sick, perverted behavior of the "Shift" function, which now is "Shift lock". I need to start a word with a capital letter... what would I expect? OK, the ideal way was the upwards-gesture we had before PR1.1... But even without that, I'd expect to tap on Shift, then tap the letter and continue typing in lower case. Noooooo, that's not what the Finns do. They obviously keep on typing in upper case until the sun rises again in spring, because "Shift" is gone! It's a "Shift lock" now, you really, honestly, have to tap "Shift", letter, "shift" in order to type one single damn capital letter!

Thank you, Nokia! Really! How much more difficult was it to type before, when you actually got the letter you tapped on (instead of some random adjacent one), when one simple gesture (instead of three taps) would give you a capital letter, when the whole **** thing was a keyboard instead of an adventure game.

I learned one thing: Take my N810 for the train. It has a better screen for watching videos, anyway.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: