View Single Post
Originally Posted by lazart View Post
4. sounds good I spent many hours trying to repair the usb socket. The only thing I got to work was temporary connect an usb cable directly to the pads, because I had to do a reflash. IMHO repairing the micro usb socket only makes sense if you still have the intact pads on your board.
After my first n900, which I failed to repair (I used a wall wart charger + second battery for a long time), didn't boot anymore, I bought a "new" one with a broken display from an online auction. Because the display from my first one was OK, I replaced it with the broken display from the second one. And there I was: A full functional N900!!
I also hoped to swap the internal memory, but failed, it's soldered on pads _under_ the chip.. whatever.

and it's worth to make backups with the backup function of the device on a small microsd card..

good luck!
Noticed just now that you've answered all my questions in the quote. *sigh* I guess I have to make up the courage and try again with a higher power soldering iron.
Another question:
5. where did you get the cables for the connection? That's assuming you used the cable method, not just re-soldering to the pads. I guess something out of a dead pair of headphones could work but am not sure.