View Single Post
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I have an N810 and an N800, and a 770 in a drawer.

I am interested in seeing the community SSU released, also to see Mer bring added value to the N8x0s in terms of new and improved apps and features such as improved A2DP, and AVRCP etc., not to mention a/the panaramic desktop.

I would like to see a image app similar to Maemo5's which allows for tagging, editing, and then uploading to sites such as twitter, facebook, picasa, flickr etc. If Nokia permitted, or compiled themselves, the maemo5 app for Maemo4, or Mer, then that would be great. I would also like to see the new media player backported to either Mer or Maemo4.

Also the recent announcement of Wayfinder abandoning the Map app for Maemo4 is very disappointing. It would be cool if the licences could be opened for it. Or for the community to get behind an alternative like Navit. I have a wayfinder licence valid for another year, but am playing with Navit as a possible alternative.

I am willing to assist with testing of said SSU, Mer or anything else. I have been installing the testing builds of mer on my N800 as they have been released, and will happily continue to do so. as I have 2 NITs I can dedicate one for testing and experimentation. also spend a lot of time lurking here so can report back. I could never lay claim to being a coder, but am an avid tinkerer, and could knock up a scratchbox env and compile if required.

So far there does not seem to be a lot that Maemo 5 can currently do which the N8x0s would not be capable of apart from the phone stuff.

I absolutely love the N810, and consider it the highpoint so far of the tablets in terms of hardware . Yes the 900 is faster, and has a phone, but has a smaller screen, and worse physical keyboard. It is a shame, and almost a crime that Nokia did not bring more updates to the platform. the A2DP shows that the tablet can handle it, (better tham my s60 phone which supports it officially). updating of media player, the image app, and IM/email should all have been carried out, and would could keep the N8x0 alive and current for a lot longer.

sorry to go on...

Last edited by gazza_d; 2010-02-14 at 20:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post: