View Single Post
Originally Posted by cb474 View Post
Thanks for the mini-review. I appreciate getting different people's perspectives of the same things (size of the device, keyboard, phone application, etc.). I feel like I can average the many perspectives out in my head and get a better sense of the device, before I possibly buy it.

One follow up question. You say:

What do you not like about the icon quality and the UI?

From the screen shots I've seen it reminds me a lot of the Gnome desktop, from which the sensibility of the Hildon interface for Maemo is in a sense derived (Hildon is a project of Gnome, the most used desktop in Linux--for those who don't know). One of the things I like about Gnome is that the Icons and UI, to me, are not over designed. They look pleasing, but simple and functional. To me this is in contrast to all the other current major desktops, for computers (Windows, OS X, and KDE-- KDE is the other major Linux desktop). To me Windows, OS X, and KDE have all gone in a design direction that is too flashy, too dominated by useless animations, and prefers very cartoony icons. I find this distracting and more about eye candy than function; often giving only the semblance of user-friendliness, without actually being user-friendly. It can be cool at first, but for me becomes annoying quickly.

As you say, it's a matter of personal preference, but I sort of dread what a more "polished" Maemo might mean. So I'd just be curious if you could elaborate more on what you didn't like about the icons and UI in this respect. Thanks.
I guess they just seem too dull for me, I prefer more eye candy I guess... some XDA roms for the TP2 look great, and I also like the android UI. It just seems a little boring to me, though I'm not familiar with Gnome so those who are might like it better than I