View Single Post
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
Originally Posted by wbhck View Post
I've still no sound, i tried to reinstall ogg-support, downgraded to 1.0.5, reinstall decoders-support, gstreamer and marble, restartet etc.. I tried marble from dev-extas and testing. I converted the ogg from mono to stero etc.. But I have still no sound. When I click "play sound" i can't hear anything. The oggs play in the mediaplayer on my n900.
Which routing service are you using? Only Monav (offline routing) delivers instructions that can be used for voice guidance. The online services (OpenRouteService and Yours) only have textual instructions.

Originally Posted by daniel_m View Post
Generally, the app is missing configuration possibilities when it comes to map and routing services. I like the idea of OpenStreetMap, but it is missing some important cities where I live (Southeast Norway).
Start mapping them That's the great thing about OpenStreetMap, you can extend it easily.

Google would be a good addition, but even better would be a possibility for users to add services from the UI.
Technically that's easy. There are ready-to-use Google (and other) map themes at https://gitorious.org/marble-restricted-maps. Please note however, that using them will likely violate the terms of use of the respective provider! That's also the reason why we do not ship them with Marble. Similarly for routing; I wrote a Google routing provider once to make sure that's it's possible technically. The restrictions Google imposes on these services however are not acceptable for Marble. I'm not a lawyer, so don't quote me on the list below, but that's my interpretation of the Google Maps terms of service wrt usage in Marble:
  • Google services must only be used through the Google API. The map themes linked above are not using the API, however
  • If we changed the map themes to use the Google API, another restriction would apply: The Google services must only be used from within a web browser, and Marble is none.
  • Google routing service must not be used for real time navigation or route guidance, including turn-by-turn navigation
  • Google API must not be wrapped. Marble can be used as a library, and having a Google routing backend inside Marble would do exactly that
  • Google Maps tiles must not be cached. Marble does that for all themes by default, and not doing it is pretty stupid.
  • No bulk-download of Google Maps tiles. Marble would have to deactivate the "Download region" feature for Google Maps themes
  • Google content must only be used with Google Maps. Using the google routing service would pin you to one of the Google map themes.

Routing sometimes zooms out completely (world view) and the route only becomes visible after one of the way-points was touched/moved. Way-points also cannot be removed.
Way points can be removed from the routing dialog (the 'clear' button inside the input field). Can you describe what you are doing in more detail when it zooms out completely?

The interface is still kind of sluggish and I cannot move most of the overlay elements. The scale bar can always be moved, but I have trouble moving anything else (speed info, ...).
Unfortunately some of the elements used in the overlays (info boxes) handle too many mouse actions by themselves. Especially for labels that's annoying and the reason why e.g. the speed info can only be moved when grabbing it towards the borders.

Routing with Monav is difficult because location names are converted to coordinates immediately, which renders making corrections impossible (location has to be re-typed into input field).
I deactivated using Monav for reverse geocoding (determining the place name from a location) because it has troubles with concurrent accesses. Hopefully that changes in a later release of Monav. Marble 1.4 (and Marble Touch already in 1.3) will not overwrite your input.

And locations are not found when first letters are not in capitals.
That's true for offline search. A case-independent search would be too slow on mobile devices when using sqlite. Online search services should be able to handle it though.

With Monav there is also a major slow-down and entering locations often results in having secondary characters in a name (e.g. Nor2ay). Is Monav searching locations while they are being typed into the search field?
No, that sounds strange. Does that happen in a reproducible way?

The Following User Says Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post: