Thread: n810 as phone
View Single Post
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Originally Posted by tip184 View Post
Yes, sjgadsby is right - MiFi is another device. However, it's smaller than my N800, has a great battery life, and serves as a wifi hotspot for up to 5 computers within 30 feet. It's a great option for those of us who live in the sticks and can't use cable, DSL, or satellite (it is SO much faster than dial-up!). Verizon subscription is $60/month - only downside is the 5 Gigabyte limit. I use it with my N800 and my thinkpad, while my son is also online with his thinkpad. MiFi usually stays at home, as most of the time when I am out and need internet I can use a free wifi hotspot. If I needed to take it with me it's not much more hassle than carrying a credit card.
Cool : I was just contemplating this as a solution to the complete lack of adequate TMobile signal in rural Iowa....but I'm leery of the 5GB limit. ( really want an n900 and would like to use it data only: Gizmo/google voice / The One Ring/DialCentral)

How often do you hit the 5GB limit?

Have you ever used Skype (video calls) with it?

I haven't been able to get a straight answer from the local Verizon people...does the Verizon Mifi have GPS capability like the Sprint version?

Speaking Sprint: Has Anyone used the Overdrive (Sprint's updated version of the Mifi)?

Thanks

Snow bound in Central IA...

@blue_led You have waaaay too much time on your hands....I am in awe...

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Last edited by Snoshrk; 2010-02-12 at 03:32.