View Single Post
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Got my Ubuntu tablet today. It's... not there yet. The desktop-part works, as in, connect a keyboard and mouse to it (USB HID or bluetooth, both work fine) and the pre-installed Gimp and LibreOffice work as expected. Not very fast though.

What surprised me, not in a good way, is the utter lack of open protocols for PIM and such. It's GOOGLE, GOOGLE and GOOGLE. And yeah twitter and facebook. Of course I use none of those, otherwise I would have gotten myself an Android-thing. Even plain IMAP e-mail isn't supported, although there's a adequate app for that in the store. But things like XMPP, CalDAV, CardDAV, SyncML, SIP VoIP? Nope!

Apps are made for phone. Heck, the thing comes with a dialer app. Which does nothing, of course. But given that this is the first actual tablet, afaik, it might get better. Quite a few apps are simple webapps, as in thin wrappers around a webpage. Meh.

Also, the Jolla phone display rendering is *much* smoother. I still wonder why Canonical is so hell-bent on developing their Mir display server, instead of Wayland. I think Jolla made the right choice there.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post: