View Single Post
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
I am well aware that these devices are wishful thinking, but one can dream.

At the moment I am running around with three devices in my pocket, as you may have guessed, N900, N808 and N9.
Each has its own funtions which I wouldn't want to miss.

N808: Really good camera and equally good sound recording/speaker
N9: E-Book reader, offline navigation, stargazing (OLED, endless battery life)
N900: Portable micro laptop, phone

These together cost currently around 320 €
(N808: 180€, N9: 80€, N900 60€)
as I bought some of them as they where new, I paid ~700€ in total.
And the only inconvenience is that they use a little bit more pocket space than a single device.

Yes I know that projects like the Neo900 need much money, and I appreciate their effort.
But as good as their intentions are and as happy as I would be having the product,
I do not have as much money as I would need to support all this.
330€ for a Pyra (which would only replace the N900 and is bigger)
480€ for a Neo900 (which would only replace the N900)
and more for other projects all bound and maybe wasted.
(Possible wasted reasons:
Device arrives after my death,
device arrives after I have replaced original with a device better than crowdfunded device,
makers realize this is over their head and quit,
scam from start, ...)

So my option is to wait till somebody notices the market niche
(and yes they are market niches, 808 Pureview and N9 sold extremely well, the N900 also not bad)
and to buy replacements or better devices which serve the purpose of one or two of my current devices.

Meanwhile I will state my desire for devices like these, and of course I state my perfect device.
And I will donate some time and some money to preserve the great community and to support new Ideas.
I will also reward successful projects, for example I will likely buy a Pyra a few months after it really becomes available.

I would also consider supporting development via patreon, but I won't pay big sums in advance.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post: